1. Saw out a piece of wood that is the same width as your paper napkin and at a length you choose. Follow the directions in the paper napkin applique tutorial below to apply a complete napkin quarter onto the top portion of the wood. Let motif completely dry before continuing.
2. Cut a wooden border out and paint it a color matching your motif. Lay aside for the moment.
3. Use masking tape and protect the paper napkin motif along the bottom edge. Paint chalkboard paint on the rest of the wood board and let the paint completely dry.
4. Select a detail of your napkin you wish to use as the 3-D effect. To create the 3-D motif, follow the steps 1-3 in the directions in the modelling clay link below.
5. While the clay is still semi-soft, use the blunt side of a knife and press in details carefully to add a more realistic look to the figure. See picture below for technique.
6. Use the wood glue and glue on the wood slat. Lay the prepared 3-D motif slightly over the slat. This motif was perfect with the mittens. Let it dry in this position overnight. The next day, glue the motif now permanently onto the board.
7. Drill a hole in each corner at the top of the board and add twine for hanging it up.