1. Apply a coat of gesso first to the jar and let it dry. This helps that the paint adheres better to the glass.
2. Apply a coat of blue paint evenly over the dried gesso and let it dry.
3. Add a thick but even coat of cracking medium to the entire jar and let it dry.
4. Using the flat paint brush, apply one thick coat of white paint now on the jar. It is important not to go over or repaint your strokes again as this will ruin the cracking effect. As the paint is drying, you will notice the cracks appearing. This makes a wonderful antique effect on your jar.
5. Once the paint is dry you can apply the paper napkin. Cut the desired motif out and apply according to the instructions in the paper napkin applique tutorial link below. Depending on size and type of motif you chose and whether you want to cover the entire jar or just the front of it, you may need just the one motif or more of it. When finished, let the jar dry.
6. Tie a ribbon around the top of the jar to and add decorations or greenery of choice.