For this project you will need:
- 4 and 10 mm plywood
- acrylic paint in blue, red, white, black and brown
- tracing paper
- jars for mixing colors
- paper towels or scrap pieces of cardboard
- paint brushes
- old toothbrushes
- basic sawing supplies
- wood glue
- wire cutter
- drill with 1.5 mm bit for the holes
- wire for hanging
1. Print out the patterns to the size you prefer. Fold a sheet of paper in half. Lay the heart middle exactly on this fold, trace around the pattern and open up. You will now have a complete heart. Transfer all of the motifs to the wood. You will need 1 heart, 1 sign and 4 stars in different sizes.
2. Saw all of the pieces out and sand the edges roughly down, but does not have to be very smooth.
3. Paint the pieces according to the picture. Let dry.
4. Drybrush the white edges with blue and the blue and red edges with off white.
5. Once the drybrushing is finished, sprinkle blue paint with a toothbrush on all of the white pieces. Do the same with off white paint on all of the blue and red edges.
6. Transfer the word “Welcome” on the sign and paint the word with a small brush using off white paint.
7. Drill a hole in each top half of the heart and directly above these holes in the sign as well.
8. Drill a hole at the top of the sign on each side.
9. Glue 3 stars onto to the heart and one on the sign.
10. Cut 2 x 5 cm length pieces of wire and form a “c”. Connect the heart to the sign using these pieces.
11. Coil a longer piece of cut wire and attach it to the sign for hanging.
Tip: Mix your paints in separate jars. Add a bit of brown to the white, a bit of brown to the red and a bit of black to the blue. This will make the colors more subtle and less bright.