1. First cut lots of little paper shapes in all colors.
2. Then print out the leaf pattern you wish to use. Print it out so that it fits the complete printer paper. You can either paste the pattern on the back of a cereal box and cut it out so you can create a permanent template to trace around. For that technique, you will need a white or yellow pencil so you can see the tracing lines on the black cardstock. You can also paste the printed out pattern directly onto the back of black cardstock and cut the shape out. Turn it over and you have the black leaf shape you need.
3. This is one of the shapes.
4. Now start gluing the cut out colorful shapes to fit inside the leaf. Always try to leave a thin line of space between the pieces of paper and also to the outside border of the leaf. No two papers should ever touch each other.
5. This is a close-up image of how the spaces are getting filled out. The space between the papers does not have to be perfect. In fact, the less perfect, the more individual and interesting your leaf will look.