1. Print out the patterns and make permanent templates by following the instructions in the tutorial below “how to make permanent templates”.
2. Trace each of these templates (shoes, pants, shirt, hair, nose) out twice on the appropriate colored cardstock. Always trace the second piece in reverse so the edges will match on both sides of the clown. Trace one body. Trace 10 balls in 5 different colors.
3. Now cut out all of the pieces out. Cut small strips of cardstock for patches on the top.
4. Start gluing the clothes on one side the body in this order: Shoes - Pants - Shirt - Hair - Nose - Patches. Now repeat again for the reverse side of the clown. Draw stitched lines around the shirt and on the patches if you like.
5. Draw a big friendly smile on the face. Blush the cheeks with artist chalks if you have some.
6. Punch out 4 stars and glue on these eyes on each side of the clown.
7. Poke a hole through each clown hand and also 2 holes in each of the 5 balls.
8. Start inserting the wire through the first ball and bring it behind and out again to the front of the same ball. Attach the next 4 balls in the same manner and arrange them evenly on the wire. On the reverse side, glue the balls over the wire.
9. Insert the wire ends through the backside of the hands so that the ends come out through the front. Coil the ends so that they do not slip out of the hands.
10. On the 3rd or middle ball, poke an additional hole in the top and create a wire loop so the clown can be hung, if desired.
11. Cut a piece of tissue paper and fan fold it. Pinch the middle together and use a small piece of wire to hold it tightly closed. Glue this on the clown as a bow tie.