1. Fold each long edge of the fabric strip under about 1 centimeter and iron flat. Then pin the strip of fabric across the placemat about 5 centimeters distance from the bottom.
2. Sew across the the top and bottom and sides of the fabric using a decorative stitch of your choice that is on your sewing machine. A simple straight stitch will also do the job if you prefer that.
3. To create the pocket, fold the bottom up of the side you just added the fabric to about 12 centimeters and pin in place. Before you sew the sides closed, fold the cord for tying in half and insert the folded end (the loop) about 3-4 centimeters on one side between the fold and secure in place with a pin or clip. Now sew down both sides of the pocket using 1 centimeter seam allowance. The loop is now inside the fold and the two ends for tying are hanging out.
4. Now use the trick marker and mark lines where you would like to sew to divide the different sections to store your needles. It is suggested to use a variety of widths. Here the widths of 3, 4 and 5 centimeters were used. Now stitch down the lines you have marked.
5. The lines of the trick marker will vanish within a couple of days. If you would like to have them vanish immediately, then dampen the areas with water.