1. First cut 3 pieces of fabric measuring 17 cm wide. Two pieces are 6 centimeters high and the third is 7 cm wide. Using a seam allowance of 0.5 centimeters, sew the three pieces together. This will be the middle section.
2. Measure the finished height of the middle section and cut 2 side strips that are that height and each 6 centimeters wide. Sew one strip onto each side of the middle section.
3. Now you will measure the finished piece and cut a piece of batting as well as a piece of backing fabric this same measurement. Layer the three pieces together in this order: the top with the right side up, the batting and then the bottom piece with the right side down. Baste the layers together.
4. Fuse a piece of fusible web to the backside of the same fabric you used for the sides. Once the piece has cooled down, peel off the protective backing and adhere the flower to the center section. Use a decorative stitch to stich the flower. Afterwards, sew a line around the flower.
5. Sew lines down both of the side pieces to add a quilting effect to them. Then stitch a decorative stitch down both sides of the middle section.
6. Sew bias binding around the mug rug to finish off the project.