For this project you will need:
- one zipper matching the fabric you will be using
- 2 fabric rectangles that will be used for the outer fabric (here they each measure 33 wide like the zipper and 23 long)
- 2 fabric squares that will be used for the lining - these are cut the exact size as the fabric for the outer side
- thread to match fabric or one that contrasts to the fabric
- quilters ruler’
- sewing machine
- cutting mat
- iron on interfacing in case one or more of your fabrics is really thin
This image shows the zipper and fabric being the same width.
If your zipper is not so wide but you still want a wider pouch, you can cut the top of the fabric the same width as the zipper but use a wider width at the bottom of the bag. This example shows how that can look like. The top of the bag is tapered but the bottom is wider.