How to prepare the deli papers:
1. A used plastic store card or gift card was first used to apply different colors of paint to several deli papers. Either place paint directly onto the card or simply pour drops of paint onto the paper and pull the paint with the card for bold colorful prints.
2. Then let the paints dry before continuing.
3. Once these were dry, the papers were stencilled with several different stencils (you can create your own with paper punches and die cuts. The negative spaces make great stencils. You can also use round caps of bottles to print circles, too. Let the pages dry in between coats. Then you can splatter and sprinkle paint onto the pages for even more effect. Each new layer makes the page more interesting. Once the final coat is dry, all you have to do afterwards is tear the papers into pieces and apply them to this project.
Instructions for the bears:
1. First base coat your bear with white paint and let it dry. It does not matter if some small spots are missed. The paint is to lighten the bears up so the paper will look more brilliant when applied.
2. Then tear the pre-painted deli papers into small pieces.
3. Use the decoupage glue to adhere the papers onto the bears. Brush the glue onto the bear and place the paper smoothly on the wet glue. Then brush glue over the paper to seal it. The decoupage glue may look milky at the beginning but will usually dry clear.
4. Continue until the bear is completely covered. If you hit spots that are tight, such as corners or around small areas, you can cut a couple of slits into the paper so it will lay more flat and not buckle up.