Instructions to create the fabric sandwiches:
1. On the backside of each fabric, iron on the interfacing to the center of the block.
2. Now create a block sandwich by lining up the materials in this order: 1 piece of fabric (wrong side up, 1 fleece or batting and 1 lining piece (wrong side down). Pin the layers together and sew an “x” across diagonally to hold the layers together. Do the same with the remaining fabric, fleece and lining pieces to create a total of 5 sandwiches.
Instructions to make the box: (Always use a 1.5 cm seam allowance when sewing)
3. Now place 2 fabric ”sandwiches” over each other so that the wrong sides are facing each other. Sew together with a 1.5 centimeter seam allowance.
4. Now you will sew the remaining blocks onto this section so that it looks like the diagram below with a center block and 4 blocks sewn to each side of the center block. Remember to always place the wrong sides together so that the seam allowance is seen on the right side of the fabric.
The diagram of the box layout.
5. Now match 2 of the sides (with the wrong sides facing each other) and sew together to create the first side wall of the box. Repeat for the remaining 3 sides until the box is complete.
6. Around the top edge of the box you will also need to stitch a line that is 1.5 cm from the top edge to close off the top fabric layers that are still open.
7. Snip into all of the seam allowances about every 1 cm.
8. Machine wash cold to create the fuzzy edges.