Paper Crafts - Maritime Crafts - Paper Lantern with Sailboat Motif
This paper lantern is inexpensive to make and adds a maritime touch to your home or your outdoor summer party. The light shining through the fiber paper is subtle yet looks great when it is dark.
For this project you will need:
- large piece of blue cardstock - red and white fiber paper - glue stick - craft knife - straight edge for cutting - stylus - scissors - decorative edged scissors (optional) - tea light candle - silver wire - small hole puncher
1. Print out the pattern and have it enlarged (at a copy shop) so that the height of the lantern measures at least 12 cm or 4.8 inches. This will guarantee that the lantern is wide enough for the tea light candle. 2. Transfer the pattern and the inner markings onto navy blue cardstock. 3. First cut out the sailboat motifs.
4. Use your stylus and score all of the inside lines for easier folding.
5. Tear a piece of white fiber paper large enough to cover the sails. Tear a piece of red fiber paper large enough to cover the boat. Adhere the pieces to the “inside” of the lantern on both sides.
6. Fold the lantern together and add glue to the flaps so that can be pressed inside.
7. Adhere the flaps to the inside of the lantern and let dry. 8. Punch a small hole at the center top of each side wall. 9. Cut a piece of wire and curl up the ends. Insert the wire into the holes as a handle. 10. Add tea light.
More Crafts, Decorating Ideas, Projects and Templates for Summer: