Whether making Christmas tree ornaments, decorations for the house or presents for those special people, many quality hours can be spent crafting with children at Christmastime. There are so many possibilities what they can create. This idea uses the decoupage technique on candles. This craft idea is fun, fast, simple and inexpensive. It makes a wonderful present for neighbors or friends.
1. Remove the bottom layers of the paper napkin. Remaining is the top decorative layer.
2. Tear the motif of choice out of the napkin. For children, smaller motifs are easier. Depending on the size of your motif, you may need more motif pieces to decorate the candle. In this case, I used a napkin with cherubs and needed about 5 torn motifs.
3. Dot glue onto the candle and press the first motif onto the glue. Take the paint brush, dip it into the glue and brush the glue gently over the whole motif going over the edges of the napkin to secure it. Be careful that the motif does not rip and avoid wrinkles at the same time.
4. While the motif is still wet, sprinkle a bit of glitter over the glue.
5. Continue this until the candle is decorated to your satisfaction.
6. Let the glue thorougly dry.
Paper Napkin Applique or Decoupage Tutorial
(Follow the instructions in the link. A base coat of white paint is not necessary for the candle.)